Ultimate Butter Beef Burger
This Burger comes straight from Burger Heaven to your plate. It's simply delicious and super juicy since it's sauteed in clarified unsalted butter
1Kg Beef Neck - 80/20 meat-to-fat ratio (Makes 4 half pounders)
- Salt & Black pepper
- 1 Tbsp All Purpose Seasoning Homemade. See separate post on how to make this
- 1 Tsp Brown Sugar. for the onions - Optional
- 200 Grams of Clarified Butter for shallow frying the beef patties
- 20 Grams of butter for the Onions
- ½ Kg Onions
- ½ Bulb Garlic
- 1 Mayonnaise
- 1 Sour Cream
- 1 lime juiced
- Zest of 1 Lemon
- 200 Gram Camembert Cheese
- 1 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 4 Medium Tomatoes - sliced.
- 4 Burger Buns - Toasted
Pass the meat cut from the neck just once through the meat grinder, or better still get your butcher to do this. Grinding the meat once gives texture to the burgers and helps to keep them moist during cooking. Also important is that the ratio of meat-to-fat is either 80/20 or 70/30. This makes for a juicy and tasty beef burger (while the texture is in the meat most of the taste is actually in the fat).
- Flatten the ground beef on a surface. Add a tbsp of the All Purpose Seasoning and mix it all together. Separate the mixture into 8 equal portions and shape each portion into a Quater Pound meat patty (125 Grams each). Place these patties on a tray and store in the fridge till needed (open, if used the same day or covered in plastic foil if used the next day). Remove from the fridge at least 1 hour before cooking, so that the patties are not too cold when placed in the frying pan. The reason for this is that if cold meat is placed in hot fat the meat gets a 'shock' and will loose much of its juices, resulting in a dry patty.
- Prepare the Clarified Butter by placing a 'butter brick' in a small and preferably thin and tall pan (you want this size of pan so that when the butter melts there is a large volume of clarified fat above the residue/sediment whch needs to be separated and discarded). Heat the butter very slowly, on the lowest setting of your gas/electric cooker, till completely melted but not boiling. Remove from heat. You'll notice that, if all has gone well, there is white sediment (the impurities which make the butter brown too soon) at the bottom of the pan with the (yellow) butter fat floating on top. Poor the fat into an other vessel or frying pan but do this slowly and carefully so that the sediment does not follow the fat. If you do this properly you'll have produced clarified butter which can withstand higher temperatures thus taking longer to reach smoking point than (unclarified) butter. Clarified butter is perfect for cooking steaks, burgers and any other types of meat and if you don't overheat the butter can be used again and again.
- Peel and slice onions into slivers. Caramelize these in a non-stick skillet or a wok without any oil. Stir continuously till the onions start to brown. Then add a teaspoon of brown sugar and a knob of butter, which will add extra flavour to the onions.Note* In case you don't own a non-stick pan then use the one you have with a little oil. I prefer not to use oil so as not ot make the onions too greasy.
- Spoon the mayonnaise and Sour Cream into a bowl. Peel the garlic and press each clove through a garlic crusher. Squeeze the lime, grate some lemon peel and add to the mayo/sour cream mixture. add a pinch of salt and sugar. Mix well and put aside.
- Sauté the patties in the clarified butter. You know when they are done when the inner core temperature reaches 70°C (you'll need a food thermometer for this) or simply by pushing a pointed knife into the middle of the patty and the juices run clear (not bloody).
- Toast the buns.
- While the buns are toasting place Camembert slices onto each patty and place under a medium hot grill. Remove the beef burgers when the Camembert has started to melt.
- Spoon the lime mayo and mustard onto each half of the toasted bun. Place freshly cut slices of tomato and onion on one side of the bun. Place the cooked patty with the melted Camembert on top and finish with the caramelized onions.
Serve with chips and a salad.