Balkan Walnut Bread
This Homemade Bread Recipe, specially created by Balkan Cook, will impress by how so many healthy ingredients mixed together can make bread not just tasty but also simple to prepare. The method described below is completely hassle free and, dare I say, fool proof.All ingredients, apart from a little the white flour (which can be left out if so desired), are considered 'super foods'. The ingredients that make this bread are rich in essential oils, vitamins and minerals which in turn are loaded with; antioxidants, plant based omega 3's (which help raise HDL cholesterol, aka the 'good' cholesterol), dietary fibers ( which promote a healthy gut), anti inflammatory properties (that have the potential to reduce risk of certain cancers), nutrients which may help lower blood pressure.I propose you make Balkan Walnut Bread part of your daily diet as it promotes healthy living in a tasty way.
Cost: 2 Euro, 2.50 $
- bread pan
- 150 grams Spelt Flower AKA dinkel wheat or hulled wheat, is a species of wheat cultivated since approximately 5000 BCE
- 50 grams Strong White Flour We need this for creating Gluten which helps the bread to rise and stay firm during baking
- 20 grams Buckwheat Super food, super healthy, related to sorrel, knotweed, and rhubarb.
- 100 grams walnuts Halved. high in polyunsaturated fats
- 20 grams Sunflower Seeds use unsalted and whole kernels
- 10 grams Chia Seeds Full important Nutrients which promote healthy living
- 30 grams Rolled Oats Super healthy stuff
- 400 ml water warm, around 26°C is perfect
- 5 grams dried yeast May be substituted with fresh yeast. It's just that the properties of dried are more stable and thus the effects more predictable.
- 1 tsp cane sugar May be substituted with honey. the sugar is just food for the yeast in order to get it 'going'
- 1 tsp salt Can be left out completely but I like to add salt to give the bread more flavour.
- 10 grams butter use unsalted butter or virgin olive oil instead of
- Poor the warm water in a bowl, add the sugar and yeast and stir till the sugar and yeast are dissolved. Leave to rest for about 5 minutes so that the yeast has time to be activated.
- Weigh the following ingredients; Spelt flour, the White flour, the Buckwheat, Walnuts, Chia Seeds, Oats and Salt. Add these ingredients to a mixing bowl and mix well (preferably with a whisk).
- Add the water with the yeast to the ingredients and mix well using a rubber spatula. This is made possible because the quantity of water assures that the mixture is wet (as supposed to 'rubbery' when making ordinary breads which need kneading).The dough mix should have the consistency of thick porridge, see video below to show you what I mean
- Use the knob of butter (roughly 10 grams) to grease a bread pan
- Poor the dough mixture into the bread pan, cover with a dry cloth and leave to rest in a warm place for about 35 minutes. This will allow for all the ingredients to soak up the water and for the yeast to do its work. During this resting period the yeast will 'airate' the dough as well as increase its volume.
- While the dough is resting fire up the oven to 240°C (or 465°F)
- After the mixture has rested and the dough has approximately doubled in size its time to sprinkle the sunflower seeds on top and place the bread pan with the dough into the pre-heated oven.
- Bake the dough (soon to be bread) at 240°C for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes reduce the temperature to 200°C (390°F) and bake for an other 35 minutes.
- Once the cycle of baking the bread has finished. Remove the pan from the oven and flip the bread onto a cooling rack or wire mesh grid. Just don't leave your freshly baked bread in the bread pan because air needs to circulate around the bread for it to cool down and for the crust to become crispy.
- Patience is a virtue they say so please leave your freshly baked bread to rest on the grid for about 30 minutes before cutting your first slice. Your patience will be rewarded with a beautifully baked bread which is soft in the centre and a crust baked to a crisp.Enjoy!
Balkan Walnut Bread tastes great on its own but, of course, feel free to either add your favourite or with some butter, cheese, honey or marmalade.