A Serbian Speciality
There are three ingredients you will most likely find in a Serbian dish; pork, garlic and paprika.Then again, these ingredients feature in most Balkan cooking but today I will share with you a recipe that uses these three typical ingredients to make one of Serbia' s favourite snacks; The Sausage.
Servings: 4 people
Cost: 6 Euro or 7 USD
- A Sausage press
- An Oven and oven tray
- 1 Kg Pork Mince Use half belly and half shoulder or neck. The meat/fat ratio should be 70/30 or 60/40. Commercial sausages often have 20/80! So, better make your own
- 5 meters pork casings 5 meters is about 15 feet. You won't need it all but it is better to have too much than too little. Whatever is left over freezes well till next time.
- 1 head garlic, minced This sausage is all about garlic, so if the heads are large, then one head will do. If small, then use 2-3 heads.
- ½ bulb onion very finely minced or grated is even better
- 2 tbs sweet paprika You may also use hot paprika or a mix of both sweet and hot. It's up to your tastebuds what you do.
- 1 tbs salt fine table salt will do just fine
- 1 tsp black or white pepper finely ground
- Go to your butcher and ask to mince the pork cuts. I like my mince to be course, so I ask my butcher to pass the meat through the mincer only once. If you like a finer mince then ask your butcher to pass the meat through twice. Also ask your butcher for pork casings. Good butcher should always have some in stock.
- First wash your pork casing thoroughly. Usually they are covered in salt, so the best way to remove all that salt is to rinse once, twice and if needed one more time after that. Leave the washed casings in clean water till needed
- The minced meat handles better when cold, so if you have space in a your freezer then place the meat in there for about half an hour. Alternatively you can place the meat in the fridge for about 1½ hours, but freezer is better.
- grate the onion, mince the garlic, mix with the other ingredients; salt, pepper, paprika and mix into the minced meat
- Mix the spices with the meat.
- Prepare your sausage machine, choose the right size funnel and slide the casing, whole, over the funnel. Tie a knot at the end of the casing and pierce a small hole (using a toothpick, or similar) so that air can escape during stuffing of the casing.To help you make your sausages use this link to Steve's Kitchen You Tube Channel. Steve does a fantastic job at showing you step-by-step how to make make sausages at home.Enjoy!